Californian Refugee

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Long Live Nintendo!!


Well I decided to post this blog out of my deep love and affection for Nintendo. When I was a kid I was not aloud to have a game system in the house because of course as we all know video games rot the brain. So instead what I would do is scrounge up $2.50 from the couch cushions and gutters (by the way chewing gum on the end of a stick is still the best method for this) and I would head off on my BMX for the arcade for the Saturday morning early bird special (25 tokens for $2.50). Man I miss those days. I would also get my fill of brain rot by regularly heading to my buddy Dan's house after school to play hours of Asteroids and Pitfall on his Atari.

Then in 1986 my world changed forever. The Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) hit stores in the United States, and the shot was heard round the world. Bye bye joy stick, hello game pad. We quickly kicked aside the Atari with its Missile Command and Pac Man and said hello to Zelda, Super Mario Brothers and Metroid. Whhhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooooooooooo Baaaaaaaaaaaaabbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

For the record I want to mention that it wasn't until I became a responsible, married adult that I finally was freed to purchased my first game system for home use. That was in 2002 and the system was the Nintendo Game Cube.

Now the real reason I posted all this was because I came across this video that I thought was really cool and I wanted to post a link to it below. Even if your not a gaming fan you should go check this out because its pretty darn clever. This is an a cappella musical ensemble that does a tribute to Nintendo music at the end of their concert. I was blown away. Now this is the kind of art we should be teaching our young people. Move over Mozart, bring on the Tetris.

Nintendo A Cappella

5 Comments:

  • At 9:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    /sniff /tear


    That was beautiful, man.

    I miss the good ol' days...

     
  • At 9:50 PM, Blogger Natalie Joy said…

    I can't imagine trying to create all the different parts to create a capella music like that. Someone spent waaaay too much time playing nintendo as a kid. His mother must be awfully proud of him today though.

     
  • At 11:42 PM, Blogger Amie said…

    AHHHH! THAT WAS THE COOLEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN!!!!

    My sister was always pretty lucky, and that year she won a Nintendo at "Old Settlers" or "Monroe Days" I guess you could call it. Mom and Dad NEVER would have bought us one. We played that thing ALL the time! Masters at Hogan's Alley, Duck Hunt, Clay Shooting - Dad never let us get close to the screen to shoot. Stand back as far as the cord allows you and AIM. But most of all Tetris and Mario 3 - I challenge anyone to a good ol' game of either. I have 3 Nintendos (garage sale finds mostly) - one of which works most of the time.

    Since I've been shacked up here for a while, I dedicated one of my days to playing Mario 3 level by level - it was the best! I would have to say that this was the best blog I've ever read - Bill - You Da' Man!

     
  • At 11:42 PM, Blogger Amie said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 1:24 PM, Blogger Rev60 said…

    When I was still the youth pastor we did an 80's party with the youth and we busted out the Nintendo's and had a good ole' Duck Hunt Tournament. It was a blast!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home